Tyson's Brave Battalion

Tyson's Brave Battalion
Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.” ~Samuel Johnson

Friday, August 19, 2011

A 'Normal' Day

Is it wierd to say driving to Utah, going to PCMC, getting my magic sticker (IV Port accessed), getting two types of chemo in my port, going under anesthesia, waking up and driving back home (almost 3 hours away) is just a normal day? 
When I first get to Primary Children's I always get to throw a few coins in the fountains at the entryway

After my chemo today in the clinic I had to go to the RTU (Rapid Treatment Unit is a place they do 'quick' anesthesia for simple procedures)  for a Lumbar Puncture (they put chemo directly in my spine on a regular basis). Mom loves it that they let her go back as soon as I start to wake up...it's been a while since we had to visit the RTU, I am such a good patient that I usually do my LP's in the sedation suite at clinic under a lighter sedation than anesthesia (mom likes it too cause she gets to stay with me the whole time and watch them do the procedure)...they don't staff the sedation suite on Fridays though so I had to do the RTU this time.

As soon as I was awake enough to talk I wanted the ice cream that I asked the nurse for before I went under.  He made sure it was in the freezer waiting for me.

I didn't want to leave today cause I wanted to play with the airplane again that they were having me play with while I went under.  Mom holds me until I drop the plane, then we know I am asleep and mom puts me on the bed and leaves.  Mom waits outside until I start to wake up, the whole thing takes about an hour.

I always throw some coins in the fountains on the way out too.

Remember my cousin with two broken arms?  He got one cast off and one waterproof cast so we went to Cherry Hill again to celebrate.  I LOVE Cherry Hill! Thank goodness my ANC is still high (2200) so I can play!

I still feel pretty good.  We'll see in the next few days if the higher dose of Methotrexate I got today has more adverse side affects than I've been having.  Some kids get mouth sores and throw up a lot.  So far I have been really lucky and most days I feel like a 'normal' kid right now.  I'm on day 31 of Interim Maintenance 1.  If you are wondering what that is look for a post in July titled 'Medicine Regimen'

No comments:

Post a Comment