Tyson's Brave Battalion

Tyson's Brave Battalion
Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.” ~Samuel Johnson

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Maintenance Day 6

Today is Ty's last day of his first round of maintenance steroids.  It has been really interesting to see him react to the 6mp/steroid combo.  6mp makes him kind of nauseous and prefer bland food.  Steroids usually make him crave salty foods like eggs and cheese, but we didn't see a lot of that this week.  He still mostly ate lucky charms and 'turkey sandwich without the turkey' and pancakes.  Steroids also tend to make him super irritated and have long crying spells but with him only taking them for five days this time we didn't see a lot of that. 
Wherever I was this week, so was Ty...here we are playing Mario together on the DS's connected
For the most part he was clingy and tired all week, wanting to sit on my lap a lot while he watched tv.  He went to bed really early a couple of nights, like at 6:30, and there were a couple of times where we had him take his medicine half asleep so he wouldn't miss it.  He has been really good about taking it though and he hasn't thrown up since that first night (tuesday).   Friday we took the kids out of school and made a family trip to Utah to go get Brady's credit card.  We went to the Airplane museum at Hill Air Force Base, went to Red Robin for lunch and then stopped by to play with cousins at my sister's house before we drove home.  It was a fun mini vacation!
See how his eyes look sunken?  That's his new baby cousin by the way...isn't he cute? : )
You can kind of see the red around his eyes in this one...weird
The last three days or so he has had pink around his eyes and his eyes have looked sunken and with his skin being kind of pale it is really a strange ghostly look.  I was worried that he might be getting dehydrated but he seems to be drinking fine.  I tried to take a picture but the pictures don't really do it justice.  I'm anxious to see how he does as the steroids wear off.  I'm hoping that he'll perk up a little and that the ghostlyness will go away.  In other words I'm hoping all of that is from the steroids and not from the 6mp cause he will be taking 6mp every day for the next 2 1/2 years and if this is how it makes him feel I'm not very excited about that. 
I just have to keep reminding myself that this is saving his life and keeping his leukemia from coming back so I won't be sad that he has to take this crap for so long.  I hate it and hate what it does to him...but I'm so thankful for it at the same time. 
He got up one morning and wanted to watch tv. I put him on the couch and he fell right back asleep
Sleeping on me at Red Robin...the airplane museum wore him out : )
Hoping his ANC is still pretty high cause we haven't made him wear his mask very much.  We are still doing lots of hand cleanliness though, I really like not getting sick : )

No comments:

Post a Comment